ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cupcake Paper Flowers


This is a cute and easy Spring/Summer collage project that's great for reinforcing cutting, folding and pasting skills with younger students.  I've done this project with Grades K-2.

Simply take colored cupcake liners (2-3 per flower) and fold them as if you were cutting a snowflake: in half once, then again, then again if you wish.  Cut the edges in a decorative manner (fringes, wavy line, scalloped, etc), unfold and stack them together with a dab of glue. 
Glue decorative items in the middle (beads, buttons, pom-poms, glitter, etc).

Take a sheet of colored paper (I used blue for the sky) and paint on some green stems with leaves. 
Glue your cupcake flower on top.

For the grass, I had pre-cut wide strips of scrap green paper.  Have kids cut a grass edge (I demonstrate how to snip large triangles off the top); they could also cut a fringe, whatever you want.  Glue stick this grass on the bottom of the page and ruffle the grass a bit for a bit of a 3-D look.

These could easily be embellished further: have the kids paint/draw in a sun, rainbow, make bugs and glue them in the grass, etc. etc.



2 comments:

Mrs. Skojec said...

Simple and instructional. My kinders need this kind of practice.

Miss said...

Thanks Pam- I agree- this is a great project for Kinders, especially at the beginning of the year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...